If you plan to do any form of automation on Microsoft Azure or Azure Stack, then you’ll definitely need to learn Azure Resource Management/Manager (Azure RM). Azure RM is what powers portal.azure.com, uses a newer API, and provides numerous enhancements over the 1.0 “Service Management” API and portal. In the DevOps world, Infrastructure as code is a fundamental DevOps practice. Azure RM deployment templates enables a new powerful declarative way to implement infrastructure as code. At Build 2015 Microsoft announced the Virtual Machine Preview availability of our entire compute, storage, and networking v2 stack so you can now provision VMs, storage, and networking utilizing Azure RM deployment templates as long as you are using the latest public version of the Azure PowerShell tools.
Learn Azure RM foundational skills
These resources will help you with the broader foundations of understanding Azure Resource Manager.
Article: Azure Resource Manager Overview
Video: Edge Show: Azure Resource Manager – 20 min heavy demo interview with Azure Program Manager
Video: Build 2015 Conference: Azure Resource Manager – 75 min technical overview of Azure Resource Manager.
Course: Azure Resource Manager Jumpstart – 1/2 Day structured course on MVA.
All of the resources below are a list of known public content related specifically to the Virtual Machine Preview, including blog posts, documentation and other resources.
- 2015-05-05: Creating Azure VMs with ARM PowerShell cmdlets
- 2015-04-29: IaaS Just Got Easier. Again – this is the public preview announcement for Virtual Machine templates for Azure Resource Manager and provides a great overview of the technology and scenarios.
- 2015-04-29: Azure SDK 2.6 for .NET and Visual Studio 2015 RC – this new version of the Azure SDK for .NET is required if you want the new Azure Resource Manager tools for Visual Studio, including the new Azure Resource Manager template editor.
- 2015-04-29: PowerShell Tools for Visual Studio – Now Available – this Visual Studio extension allows you to edit, maintain and execute PowerShell scripts, and is useful if you want to deploy Azure Resource Manager templates using PowerShell scripts directly from the Visual Studio IDE.
- 2015-04-29: Launching thousands of Docker containers with DCOS on Azure
- 2015-05-01: Azure Virtual Machines Deep Dive – provides a deeper view of using VM Templates to deploy and manage virtual machines using Azure Resource Manager.
- 2015-04-29: Azure Compute Now Available in Azure Resource Manager – provides an overview of Virtual Machine Template support for Azure Resource Manager.
- 2015-04-29: Azure Compute and OSS in Azure Resource Manager – provides an overview of Linux and OSS support in Virtual Machine Templates for Azure Resource Manager.
- 2015-04-29: Azure Compute and AzureCLI with Azure Resource Manager – provides an overview of how to use AzureCLI to deploy and manage Virtual Machine Templates using Azure Resource Manager.
- 2015-04-29: Tuesdays With Corey: VM Templates HackFest – coverage of our recent Hackathon for Virtual Machine Templates in Azure Resource Manager.
- Azure Compute, Network & Storage Providers under the Azure Resource Manager
- Network Resource Provider
- Deploy and Manage Virtual Machines using Azure Resource Manager Templates and PowerShell
- Deploy and Manage Virtual Machines using Azure Resource Manager Templates and the Azure CLI
- Application Frameworks using templates
- DataStax on Ubuntu with a Resource Manager Template
- The Three-Server SharePoint Farm Resource Manager Template
- Equivalent Resource Manager and Service Management Commands for VM Operations with the Azure CLI for Mac, Linux, and Windows
- Troubleshooting Resource Group Deployments in Azure
- Creating a Work or School identity in Azure Active Directory groups with a work/school id.
Azure Resource Manager Deployment Templates
Azure Quickstart Templates on Azure.com
Azure Quickstart Templates on the Azure GitHub Repo